17" Wheels on a Tow Vehicle?

To: "Team. Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: 17" Wheels on a Tow Vehicle?
From: Tommy Regan <tommy_regan@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:48:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hey y'all,

I'm finally about to get some wheels for my daily driven tow vehicle.
I'm going to buy some 17x8.5 Impala SS wheels for my '95 GMC 1/2 ton
extra cab pick 'em up.  I'm going to run some BFG 255/50-17's from an
Impala SS, as well.

My question is in regard to the towing ability of the tire/wheel
package.  Someone scared me when they told me these wheels may fail
when subjected to the abuses of towing.  Can anyone substantiate or
deny this?  And, no, I'm not sure how the wheels are supposed to
"fail."  That's just what I was told.

For reference, I've been towing with 275/60-15 BFGs on the stock 15x7
alloys and they've been fine, if not a little bulgy. :-)  For the
record, the towed load weighs in at about 5,000 lbs. give or take.

If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks!
Tommy

===
Tommy Regan