Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>,
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:04:29 -0400
And to disagree with Mr. Clow. :^)

SCCA has tried various programs to add to our sport. Trucks, karts,
Speedfreaks, and the like. The trucks seem to have gone over like a
Mashburn spare tire. The Karts have survived (as opposed to the
trucks). The new rice/generation/slammed car crowd seems to be
attracting much higher numbers than we have seen over the past few
years. Normally, I might agree with the too many classes thought, but
this maybe an area to explore for these types of vehicles and
"customers". To disenfranchise these folks is counter productive. Now,
mind you, I'm not so sure I'd exactly "hang" with these dudes, but
they are helping to bring additional ideas and technology to our
ranks. Heck, I bet some of 'em are even nice.

So DG's proposal is a good framework/outline to start with. Selling
the club/SEB/BoD on additional classes will be the hard part, and
won't occur overnight.

Up in the Northeast, we continue to have entrants with these types of
cars. We can't reel them in just to let them go. Obviously, at the
regional level we can still make our own rules. If the turnouts (and
coverage in their magazines) continue, then we need to "enfranchise"
those members (I suspect some of them are joining, so they are part of
the club).

So where'd I put the contact number for the 968 turbo?

Matt Murray

mailto:mattm@optonline.net
mailto:mdmurray@gwns.com