Re: Evansville National Tour and Significant Other

To: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Subject: Re: Evansville National Tour and Significant Other
From: Tom Maycock <tmaycock@interaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:46:08 -0500 (CDT)
>       On a related note, since I assume that when I tech on Friday night,
> the car has to have the Kumho's on it, is there any way that I could just
> leave the car at the event site so I don't have to swap tires each morning
> and evening. Or do people just drive to thier hotels on thier R tires at
> night? Please forgive the basic questions, as this is my first ever National
> Tour event.

You can do either. I drove to and from the hotel on the race tires (won't
hurt the tires at all from a wear standpoint--only danger would be running
over something really nasty, like a wall of spikes or something--try to
avoid doing that). But, if your wife has a rental car anyway, might as
well just leave the race car on site. You'll find that the lot will be
full of race cars, tow vehicles, a few motorhomes, etc., that will be
there all night.

Last year there were reports of some folks snooping about the site on
Friday night, so Saturday night I threw my street tires and other stuff in
my car, rather than leave them just sitting out as I had done the night
before. You'd probably be safe leaving stuff sitting out, but probably not
a bad idea just to throw that stuff in your race car, or find somebody
with a truck or something you can store them in.

Either way, skip the multiple tire-swap deal--you'll be tired enough as it
is!

Am I correct that you're from Chicago Region? If so, you'll find a lot of
fellow Chicago Region folks at Evansville, including myself. Most or all
of us will be paddocked in more or less the same area, so look for
familiar cars. You'll also find us walking the course together, etc., and
we'll be happy to show you the ropes.

Tom Maycock
'93 Rio Red Probe GT
GS #13 (Chicago Region)