Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>, <PZahornask@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 00:13:38 -0400

>If ANYONE can give me ammunition to combat the 'unfair advantage' and 'it's
>just not safe' arguments, I'd like to hear it.  I think I've exhausted my
>cache, but
>it'll keep coming up at the meetings until I get what I consider a viable
>reason.

I can't see that two people in a car is any less safe than one.....unless
we're talking about two guys in a Super 7 or some sort of Formula car!!

However, I think ride alongs should be reserved for non-competition runs,
to be conducted after runs that count for results or points.  It simply is
not fair for any competitor, of any level, to experience the course from
a car, at race pace (especially driving), more times than his competition.
Frankly, I think a new competitor should be focusing on developing skills
and having a good time--not trying to win a series trophy.  Too much
emphasis on results detracts from the learning process.  Seat time, seat
time, seat time....get more, walk more and put it all together.  It takes
time, no one does it overnight or in a single season.  (If any Team.netters
out there DID do it in a single season, I'm jealous, and I think we'd all
like to know your secret!!)

Eric

Eric Moon
'92 Miata SOLO II  CSP