Re: Turbo guys get screwed again

Subject: Re: Turbo guys get screwed again
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:51:45 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 Ghsharp@aol.com wrote:
> Backdating turbos was not "previously legal".  No one asked the SEB to
> rule on the issue until now.  The SEB is saying that in the framework of
> The SEB is not making legislation to slow the DSM's down.  We merely
> are interpreting and clarifying an existing rule in the book.  That's part of
> what we do.  If someone had written a letter asking this question 3 years
> ago, the answer and the clarification would have been the same.

Man, you guys have kinda a crappy job here.  Thanks for always trying to
do the best thing.

I think in this particular case that the SEB needed to take into account
that many folks had already contacted the SCCA and were told it was ok to
backdate the turbo on their DSM.  Sure, maybe they talked to the wrong
people, but in this case, those people should have known enough to refer
the questions to teh SEB rather than saying it was ok.

Given a blank slate, I'd agree that the SEB shouldn't allow turbo-only
update/backdate.  Unfortunately, the SCCA (and by association the SEB) had
already allowed it (explicitly or implicitly) and as such I feel that
this effective 'change' wasn't the best decision that could have been made
in light of how it affects only one car that isn't dominant in its class.

MHO, and I think it was a crappy situation to be in for all involved.

Mark