Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: "Lindsay Wilson" <lwilson1@ford.com>, "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>,
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 11:16:14 -0500
------------------------------------------------------->

>So Eric I take it you don't think allowing all manufactures a cost
effective means of
>participating in grassroots motorsports is something "SCCA" should do?
Allowing
>trunk kits reduces development costs for Diamler-Chrysler as well.
(More $ for
>contingency programs?)
>
>You seem to prefer one make racing, while I prefer a race between a
variety of contestants.
>Allowing Trunk kits is a method of getting more manufactures involved.
>
> Lindsay
=================================
No, I wholeheartedly DO want a diverse field of (race)cars.  Please
don't take this personally as it's not intended as an attack on you but
rather all those involved in the allowance of the trunk kits.

First, please define cost effective for me.  How does the allowance of
trunk kits save Chrysler money when they've already actually done the
R&D to make a good (race)car.  AND they pay good contingency monies on
top of that.  Just wait and see the next generation of ACRs to come out
of Chrysler.  They'll most likey have even more power (likely 170+ HP
vs. the current 150 for the DOHC cars), better suspensions and even
stiffer chassis' as a direct result of years of R&D that they've already
spent on building a better (race)car.

What I do not want is one company to pay their "dues" by spending the
money and time with R&D to make a better (race)car and then the other
companies simply wanting to sidestep the rules and the entire R&D
process by asking for allowances and help in the form of trunk kits.  If
their car is of a good design then they shouldn't need "help" from the
SCCA in the form of trunk kits.  If on the other hand it is an inferior
design and can't keep up as designed and built by the factory then maybe
they should make a better product.

Allowing trunk kits is only a method of saving the other manufacturers
money.  Simply put, they're either too cheap or too stupid to make a
good (race)car in their factories so they want to be "allowed" a trunk
kit to keep up on the track.

Simple enough for ya?

Again, don't take this personally as it's really targeted at all the
people who first allowed the infamous trunk kits.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Mustang Sally,
guess you better slow your Mustang down.
"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett