Re: Kumho wear patterns, 225/50-15 on 6" rim

To: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Kumho wear patterns, 225/50-15 on 6" rim
From: Scott Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 09:06:23 -0700
Craig Blome wrote:

> I ran my first event on the K-tire at our practice
> last Saturday.  I had ordered 225/50-15's .......and I like the tires,
> but I noticed
> significantly more wear on the outer half of the
> tread.  The first two rows of blocks have a coarse
> pebbled wear pattern to them (surprising after 10
> runs), with the innermost rows almost untouched.

Similar here - 92 240 SX SE, 225x50x15 Kumhos full tread, 6"x15" rims,
1' neg. camber in front, 1/8" toe out.

> I'm guessing that either:
>
> a)  I don't have enough negative camber for the tire
> (no surprise here), or
> b)  the 6" rim is too narrow for a 225 K-tire and it
> is rolling over.

That's my assumption also - I'm hearing from others that I need even
more toe out in front since camber is limited, AND to NEVER run less
than 42# front pressure (this from MX-6 owners). My car weighs 2750#,
yours is lighter than mine or MX-6's, so you can probably run less pressure.

I'm using 44# front now.

Try taking tire temps after runs and see how hot the middle of the tire
is getting. If not proportional to the inside and outside, adjust
accordingly

110-->120-->130 = OK,
110-->100-->120 = too low,
110-->140-->130 = too high

:-)  120-->120-->120 = "not in our lifetime".......   :-)

> I'm really starting to hate having 15x6 wheels...

Yep - me too. The Kumhos so much better on cars that are not camber or
rim-challenged.

Scott Meyers
DS 92 240 SX SE
When is BFG going to fix the G-Force?