Re: lug nut torqueing(again probably)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lug nut torqueing(again probably)
From: PTGEMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:02:58 EDT
In a message dated 6/8/99 10:29:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
forestg@ionet.net writes:

> Here are some lug nut torqueing questions:
>  1.  Why do you apply more torque to larger nut sizes?  I would think
smaller
>  nuts need more oomph to hold a wheel on.
>
>  2.  Does 13/16" sound like a correct size for a Ford lugnut?  It seems to
>  fit perfectly on my ZX2, but there is another size on my 3 way that seems
>  at least fit on the nuts well enough to spin them quickly.  Unfortunately
>  none of the markings, if there were any, on my 3 way spinner lug nut wrench
>  are legible.
>
>  3.  What would the proper torque for a 13/16" lug nut be?  TireRack's chart
>  only goes up to something like 5/8" or maybe 11/16"

1)     If all is well at Engineering the big studs and nuts go on the big
vehicles that need them.
Larger studs(and bolts) can withstand higher loads and require higher torque
to stay tight.
Check owners manual for proper torque specs.

2)    If you want to know the exact size get out your socket set and try em
out.
3/4'' or 13/16'' or a metric size near them sounds reasonable.

3)  You need the stud size not the socket size to look up on their chart.
I would still go with the owners manual, though, over a generic chart.
Think 7/16'' 0r 1/2'' or the metric equivalent.

Pete Geurds