Re: Left foot braking

To: autocross digest <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Left foot braking
From: Scott Knight <sknight@mich.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 17:30:11 -0400
Kent Rafferty wrote:

> the left foot (we spend a lifetime learning to brake with our
> right) and the sometimes confusing gas/brake/downsift issues

Well, at least that is what they try to make us do.  I drove around the
farm for years and was dragracing before I ever took driver's education
and already had this "bad habit" deeply embedded by the time they tried
to 'teach me how to drive an automobile'. Hehehehe.  My driving
instructor got so irate at me that he threatened to fail me if I did it
one more time.  The arguments "that foot is just sitting there doing
nothing anyway" and "I feel more comfortable this way" didn't seem to
wash with this small minded speed nazi.  20 years later and I haven't
caused one fatality because of my left foot braking abuse <G>.  My
fiancee goes ape over it too, but then, she doesn't appreciate the finer
points of late braking either...

FWIW, since I have been doing it for so long, it is just as easy to get
the feel with my left foot as it is my right.  My bigger problem is
abusing the brakes and getting terrible fade at the end of a lap (4400+
pounds and stock 12" rotors).

Later dates.
--
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight@mich.com