Re: Left foot braking

To: "Engstrom" <engstrom@onramp.net>,
Subject: Re: Left foot braking
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:59:24 -0700
For what it's worth, I avoid left foot braking on a stick because my humble
grey matter can't consistently differentiate between telling the left foot
"time to declutch, all the way to the floor this time" and "time to brake,
expect to stop half way before you hit the floor".

When I get those confused it can get nasty on the street, even if not on an
autox (where "point and squirt" could make that pay anyway, I'm surmising).

My car (86 Mustang SVO 2.3TII presently configured for ESP) is set up from
the factory for so-called "heel and toe" (actually the respective edges of
the right foot on both brake and gas pedals).  For some reason my grey
matter has no trouble at all with this.  I've been doing it for so long, I
guess, on the street with a variety of cars that were either set up for it,
or I set up myself for it.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan 3J - Original Owner/Restored
  On display at the San Diego Automotive Museum
         12 June 1999 through 31 January 2000