Re: Large course design questions

To: "Meyer, Brian J" <Brian.Meyer@Wichita.BOEING.com>
Subject: Re: Large course design questions
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:29:20 -0400
"Meyer, Brian J" wrote:
> For larger sites that have enough space for multiple cars on course (3
> or so), how much time do you typically let go by before sending the
> next car out? Is 20 seconds enough of an interval?

20 seconds is tight, but doable.  It's about the smallest possible
interval for normal autocross courses.

If you have a spot on your course where if people hit one cone they're
just as likely to hit seven, think about longer intervals.

At Nationals, we typically shoot for 25 seconds, then adjust from there
as we learn more about the details of the particular course and workers.
We did manage 20 seconds for an entire heat on the north course last
year.

30 seconds is pretty long; assuming a course that allows it, you
generally shouldn't need to go longer.

I have no idea about your question about length of courses, and ever
since we got timers that can time four or more cars simultaneously, I
haven't paid any attention to number of cars on course at once -- all
that matters is starting interval.

Mark