Grassroots Motorsports ProSolo Coverage

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Grassroots Motorsports ProSolo Coverage
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:44:05 -0400
Ho all,

Yours truly, the Verbose One, has signed on to provide the writeups for the
ProSolo coverage in Grassroots Motorsports for Peru, Richmond, and Harrisburg. I
guess nobody wrote any letters to the editor to tell them my Talon article
sucked. :)

What I would like to do is to try and make the articles a little more
interesting than: Mark Daddio won P6, John McIver won GS, blah blah blah. Lists
of winners are boooring.

What makes good reading are **stories**. Drama, conflict, excitement, gossip -
this is what makes for good press, not laundry lists of classes and winners.

Two good examples are Katie's recent recounting of the titanic struggle between
Scotty B and the newbie, and Danny Shields' SportsCar article last year about
our little misadventure in Peru. That's what I think people want to read.

However, I'm going to be fairly busy during the weekend (just like everyone
else) so I won't be able to be everywhere at once. I need some help.

I don't know all the backstories and gossip going on in all the classes. I don't
know everyone on the circuit, so I don't know reputations, past histories, and
the other trivia that helps flesh out a good story. So if you know any
interesting gossip, facts, or stories, and you think they'd make good print,
please let me know. I promise never to reveal who told me what. :)

I also promise to exercise a little discretion when required. If Driver A hates
Driver B because Driver B slept with Driver A's wife... well... that's a good
source of drama, but I won't use that. But things like former co-drivers pitted
against each other, or long-time Brand A drivers switching to Brand B, or
car-of-the-day sagas like last year's GS soap opera or the ESP Supra story are
all fair game in my book.

Furthermore, I intend to spend the lion's share of the coverage on the P
classes. The way I see it, the P classes are the feature classes, so they
deserve to be featured. Furthermore, it's a pet peeve of mine that sponsor names
never seem to make it into these articles, and sponsors at this level need all
the support we can give them - so if you have sponsors you want mentioned,
please let me know.

I can be reached here up until Thursday's close of business, and I'm pretty easy
to find on course - just look for the black Talon with "Buschur Racing" on the
sides and the big-ass tahrs. I also don't have to have the article in right
away, so stuff you see happen can be sent to me the week after the event.

Also: it appears we don't have a photographer for the event. Photo submissions
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

DG