Re: wasting gates

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject: Re: wasting gates
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 07:03:30 -0700
Good post.  However, two points (listed as one) are deserving of correction
from a technical standpoint:

>1) You only make that extra power under full boost. That right away limits
the
>areas for improvement to areas of the course where you're full throttle,
and
>there's still lag to deal with.

Boths of these points are misperceptions in and of themselves, and worth
clarifying for those on the list who might be influencing what happens to
turbocars in autox.

The SVO anyway, and my home-built TurboPinto (now retired to museum duty) in
its day, makes full boost at part throttle.  Full boost is always achieved
on the even the shortest straights I've autoxed on, at part or full throttle
as appropriate.

The SVO has NO turbo lag.  None.  At all.  Its factory turbine housing is
tiny (.48 a/r) and driving it is *exactly*, *exactly* like driving a 5.0:
low end torque is strong, high end revs are soft.

When I've posted in the past about completing the courses in 2nd gear only,
apparently the assumption built into the comment has been missed:  I even
*start* in second.  The car is *never* in any other gear, from start to
finish.  Full throttle and boost to start, full throttle and boost at the
end.

Hope that helps to clarify some common misconceptions about turbocars in
general.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
86 Mustang SVO TII 1C: ESP/FSP/?

72 Pinto Sedan 2.0 3J - Original Owner, Restored
On display at the San Diego Automotive  Museum,
                June 99 through January 00