Re: Significant Other Class

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Significant Other Class
From: "Greg Lee" <greg@ThumbsUpRacing.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:16:27 -0500
As best as I can recall, the idea of competing against others of similar
talent/experience/native ability/determination/car preparation/RESULTS was
postulated by one Ben Thatcher (aka "The SCCA Anti-Christ", a title FAR from
the truth)   in a publication known as North American Pylon a couple of
years ago.  I must admit that Ben presented an eloquent case for classing
drivers based on results.  If I remember correctly, he proposed either three
or five levels where drivers competed against each other based on the
results of prior competition. I thought this was brilliant "out of the box"
thinking.  He even had a concept that took into account drivers that
sandbagged in order to be classed at a lower level.

I think that concept is exactly what Katie (who by the way is my favorite
writer, Hemmingway be damned) is trying to accomplish.  Her idea may have
been somewhat "tounge in cheek" at first, but wouldn't it be great to see
what some "out of the box" thinking could do for this sport?