RE: Clorox for your tires?

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clorox for your tires?
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:21:14 -0500 (EST)
v   v   v   v   v
Back in my drag racing days in the '60s, we used to use bleach.  Now
there are all sorts of instant traction compounds like Track Claw.
For autocross purposes, however, I'd say stick with Formula V.  OK,
Rocky, there's your lead.  Jump on it!!!

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman
^   ^   ^   ^   ^

Why, thank you Mr. Straightman!  :-)

First, I'll say this about tire softeners. What they actually are doing is
degrading the rubber. sorta like pouring gasoline into a Styrofoam cup, only
slower. But it is still ;basically tearing apart the compound that Hoosier or
Yoko or BFG or whomever carefully put together. I get a little queasy at the
thought of my tire disintegrating beneath me just about the time I really want
it to stay solidly between my car and the pavement.

Jeff Mohler inquired:

> The use of traction compounds is legal?
> I can swipe down the R's with VHT before a run if i wanted to?

Yep, you can, but it would not do you much good.

VHT was invented for drag racing. Think about what is happening there. You
swipe down the tire for one primary part of a competition that is going to
last anything from 4.6 to 15 seconds depending on whether you are Top Fuel
Dragster or Z/Stock Automatic. It is there to help you launch. It is there
to get you going downtrack in a very short duration contest. It is mostly
gone by the time you reach half-track (and consider that at the premier
events, and maybe many lesser ones, the track itself is treated with VHT).

Translate that to an autocross. It's gone before you reach the second corner.
Now, hmm, only 45 seconds of this 55-second run left. Big help. Wouldn't you
much rather have something that worked for the whole 55 seconds, and then for
the next two runs also?

As John said, "stick with Formula V." And fair warning -- I peddle the stuff,
so even through I am a True Believer, you can take what I say with the usual
grain of salt.

Formula V Traction Treatment is a restorative/preservative. It will work on any
tire, but its purpose is to keep that tire at the softness ORIGINALLY DESIGNED
in its compound. It is not a softener. It won't turn a brick into a gumball.
But a gumball, in time (and with repeated use/heat cycles) will turn into a
brick. FVTT is designed to prevent that and keep it a gumball throughout its
useful life.

I used to sell my slicks off to drivers even more impoverished than I (believe
it or not, there actually are some!). Since discovering FVTT in 1982, I have
never sold off a tire since. I take 'em clear to the cord. Sticky all the way
down.

Rick McClure wrote:

> Check Racer Wholesale, they sell the stuff.  its about $30/gallon.

Plus shipping, of course. How close do you live to Atlanta? My price is $38
per gallon including shipping -- to anywhere in the Lower 48. If you live in
the Southeast, RW may end up being the better price. Anywhere else, we may
be pretty competitive. And I'll sell you two for $72, shipping included.

All I need is an address UPS can find (commercial preferred but not required).
I take orders by e-mail and invoice you with the shipment.

Always happy to answer questions about the product.

--Rocky Entriken

>From Rocky Entriken, Salina, Ks.             Ikke sa Hurtig Racing
     R.Entriken@mcimail.com                  #4 DP Spitfire  [Old Fartz #001]
     Phone: 785-827-5143                     Freelance Motorsports Journalist
     FAX:   785-823-0213                 <If I said that, I misquoted myself>
|| "Solo Stats", the archive of the Solo II Nationals, now updated to 1998 ||
||          Yours for $40 shipped, including Your Personal Record          ||
~~~~~~~ also selling Formula V Traction Treatment, $38/gallon shipped ~~~~~~~