TV coverage-Sebring (LONG)

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: TV coverage-Sebring (LONG)
From: Debbie Stohn <dstohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 07:43:53 -0500
All... Is anyone as disappointed with the TV coverage of Sebring as I
was?  If you checked the americalemans.com site, there were three
sessions scheduled, 10-11:30 on ESPN, 1:30-2:30 on ESPN2 and 10-10:30pm
on ESPN2.
The morning coverage on ESPN was the best session of the three I knew
about.  But they broke away for ads much too often...
The one o'clock coverage by ESPN2 was delayed because of women's
basketball and then frought with ads again.  Usually on a live event, if
the station is late in joining, they  extend the coverage time to it's
fully committed time slot.  ESPN2 didn't.
I think it was during one of the sessions, or maybe on the website, they
mentioned that USA Today had a section devoted to the American Lemans
series.  So I did my weeks shopping between 230 and 9:00pm and picked up
a copy of USA Today.  When I got home and pulled out the racing section,
it said that I had missed a half-hour session at 7:30-800 on RPM2 on
ESPN2!!! Can anyone confirm that coverage went on as supposedly was
scheduled?
The kicker in the whole day, was that final coverage started at 10:00pm,
fifteen minutes before the end of the race.  How are they supposed to
recap what happened during the day and give you enough time to enjoy the
end of the race at 10:15?  And get this........the session was delayed
ten (10) minutes because of a SOCCER game...... and they didn't extend
coverage beyond 10:30!!!!!!!#@#$W$%!!#%  How's that for comprensive live
coverage for you?
Luckily, I tuned into the live audio coverage on the website for the
whole duration, up to 11:00pm and it was VERY GOOD!  Only criticism I
have of it was that the British or Aussie accents were difficult to
understand because they shouted into their mikes and talked fast much of
the time.  But they were very well able to communicate the excitement
and the progress of the race.  Thank heavens.....
I'm e-mailing ESPN & ESPN2 about my thoughts... How about anyone else
who was disappointed with their coverage/scheduling?  My apologies for
going on about this but I had really been looking forward to the same
great coverage they gave the 24 Hours of Daytona.
It's too early to do anything up here in NH, but live vicariously
through TV coverage!!! First outing in two weeks!!
Debbie
#99, '87 Integra