Miata brake pad advice sought.

To: nw_autox-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Miata brake pad advice sought.
From: Bret Dodson <bret@serv.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:26:20 -0800 (PST)
I have a '96 Miata R and it's just about time to replace the brake pads.
I've been happy with the stock pads, they don't need to be heated up to
work well and seem to respond well to brake modulation inputs.

I'm curious though if anyone has experimented with mixing the break pad
formulas to try and achieve a better balance of breaking.  The front
brakes lock up much more easily than the rears.  This is a good thing for
car stability, but am I missing out on an iota of performance?

Do the current hot shot brake pads work well cold?  I've heard great
things about some of these things (Hawk, Porterfield) but worry that what
works great on the race track or street won't work well in an autocross
situation.

Anyone done any experimenting with brake pads?  Stock fronts, hi perf
rears? Hi perf fronts, stock rears?  Left front stock, right front Hi
perf, left rear hi perf and right rear stock?

But then perhaps this is a moot point.  I'm trying to make my car faster
by altering something that slows the car down  ;^)

Thanks in advance for any experiences you all might be able to share,

Bret "Mr flat-spot" Dodson

PS:  How many slots should I put in a pad when I slot it?  If the pads
come with a slot running across themiddle would I be able to increase the
water and gas dispersal characteristics by adding slots above and below
the factory supplied one?