Re: D Stock BMW 318ti

To: Digest Auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: D Stock BMW 318ti
From: Ron Katona <ron3b@cris.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:18:29 -0800
Scott Meyers wrote:
> Um, check the 1997 SCCA Solo 2 National results.
>
> Note the place earned by the single BMW 318ti.
>
> Note who drove it. He drove it very well by the way.
>
> Save your money, and spend it on the Neon.
>
> Take two aspirin, call me in the morning.

I can second this as far as being competitive in DS is concerned. I
owned a '95 Sport Coupe DOHC, and presently own a '97 318ti w/ Sport
suspension. Because autocross was not my primary purpose for the car,
I'm not disappointed with it's uncompetitiveness in DS (or CSP where it
has no business being classed).

The big disadvantage compared to the Neon is weight. The ti weighs in at
2750-2800 lb. What's an ACR weigh - under 2300? Combine that with no
camber adjustment compared to the Neon's large negative adjustment and
you have two huge disadvantages under the stock class rules. I actually
think the ti motor is more powerful than the DOHC Neon's, although the
advertised numbers don't agree. The ti motor has more torque down low
and is underrated hp wise - it's just pulling around too much heft.

Actually, the '91 318is with the M42 motor is mechanically almost the
same car as the ti with a slightly shorter wheelbase and a few hundred
less pounds. If you want to run a low cost BMW in DS, go for that.

In other areas, the extra $10 large makes a difference in braking, high
speed stability, build quality, steering feel and precision, etc. None
of that is a big plus for autocross, hence the ti's lack of success in
this sport. Both cars are very fun to drive, but in very different ways.
My experience with the Neon was unfortunately one of having bought a
lemon, so I'm happy that the ti has survived two years of autocross and
drivers' schools with only regular maintenance, even if I'm not bringing
home trophies.
--
Ron Katona