RE: Why not? / Autox on TV

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Why not? / Autox on TV
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:30:11 -0600
And I quote....
____
the clutch and flywheel exploded, the
starter completely exited the vehicle and flew over a line of trees and
      landed on the service drive for the Lodge Freeway next to the lot.
____
     Throw in some shots of spinning cars, runaway wheels,
     over-revved M3 engines...
____
blew the starter off the
>side of the engine which blew the grille off the front of the car
>and the hood open. It looked like one of those exploding kids
>toys!!
____
 But if I was producing a Solo
TV show, I'd keep a camera on that car: it does NOTHING that isn't
spectacular.  Either it's really fast, or it blows up in a big way.

I think I agree with Mr. Wheeler on this one. Why so gung-ho for TV
coverage?

So far we have a few examples of the things they could show, centering
around detonating engines, airborne auto parts and loose wheels. If solo
was on TV, you know they would promote it as racing, and try to make it
look as fast, and as blood-and-guts as possible.
        Given my local club's difficulties in securing sites, and a post I read
recently about somebody trying to get their Ford plant site back, I hope
the guy sitting across the desk from me when I try to negotiate a contract
for a site has NEVER seen any of this. Particularly with the slant that I
can imagine TV would put on it. All of this has happened, can happen and
eventually will happen but not with anything like the frequency that TV
coverage is going to want you believe.

Watching solo2 on TV ain't worth it, if it means it going to be harder for
me to *do* it. A few guys might get to play in front of the cameras to the
detriment of us all.

Phil Vanner
DSP Midget