Re: course memorizing

To: "lollipop" <lollipop@ricochet.net>, <Popsracr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: course memorizing
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:14:18 -0600
From: lollipop <lollipop@ricochet.net>
>According to the rules, isn't there a minimum gate
>width? Something like 12-15 feet?--Pat Kelly

Gate width is irrelevant in this case.  As Pat Washburn points out, if there
are three gates in succession, only one of the pylons in each gate is
"real".

On another subject brought forth in this discussion;  "forest of cones":
The view from a CM car or a Europa is considerably different than that from
a GTI or Neon.  The lower point of view can make the difference from a
course you can see to a course you can not see.  I recommend that a course
designer get out and look at the course from our perspective.  That means
sit butt-to-pavement.   Kneeling is too high.

My take on it is that a good course can be followed in a novice in virtually
any car.  Finding the correct line is something else again, and some
memorization will be needed for that.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/