Re: course memorizing

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: course memorizing
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 09:08:19 EST
In a message dated 3/5/99 9:15:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, washburn@dwave.net
writes:

<< People often jump to the conclusion
 when they hear me talking about memorizing that it means that part of
 the contest is remembering a complex set of directions.  To demonstrate
 what I mean by this, an example would be those sometimes goofy events
 held at circle tracks.  They go something like this..."O.K., you go
 around turns 1 and 2, then cut through the middle, then turns 3 and 4,
 then double back around the tall pylon the way you came, then back
 through the middle, get the white flag, then do two more laps
 alternating directions each time."  I think that is the kind of nonsense
 that you are talking about, and I think that the rule pertains to
 curtailing that kind of thing. >>

     Yes. That too. I've run at an oval with exactly the kind of complicated
changes of direction you describe. I like running on ovals so much I went
ahead and ran anyway.
     But I'm also talking about visually confusing courses where every cone in
the trailer is brought out and you have so many course details to memorize
that it would take more time than you get to memorize it well enough to not
only go the right way but to go fast also.

Ray Elliott