Re: ABS Braking Technique

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ABS Braking Technique
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:42:05 -0500
I think it really depends on how your ABS system is calibrated.  I used to
have a '94 MR2T, and its ABS system was outstanding.  It would do the
threshold braking for you and would even chirp the tires just a bit.  I
still tried to do threshold braking without activating the ABS, but if I
ever went over the threshold the ABS would keep me from locking up my tires
and would allow me to continue steering the car.

On the other hand, my Acura's ABS system would activate way before the
lockup threshold.  The pedal would start pulsing way too soon.

I now autox a '91 MR2T without ABS, and I end up locking my brakes
periodically.  I preferred the ABS.

FWIW, some FIA GT cars have (or at least had) ABS systems, so a properly
designed and calibrated system can even help experienced professional
racers.

Brad Burns