Re: removeable Rearview

To: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>
Subject: Re: removeable Rearview
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:20:24 -0800
Mohler, Jeff wrote:

>         The real sad part here, is that someone, somewhere, at some time,
> threw a fit because someone without the OEM mirror beat him.

Well, maybe not. Someone could simply have written a letter to Denver
requesting clarification.

>         Mirrors obviously increase handling.  [Y]es    [N]o
>         Mirrors obviously increase performance  [Y]es   [N]o
>
>         So..what gives?

Not everything that's illegal will result in a DSQ it's protested. This
is the sort of thing that would most likely result in the competitor
being told to put the mirror back in before the second day of an event.
In any case, not every technical illegality justifies a protest, IMHO.
However, there are, ahem, other schools of thought on this issue, so it
would probably be a good idea to be careful who you beat if you've left
out, say, your rear view mirror, sun visor, or spare tire cover.

If, as has been pointed out, the BMW owner's manual mentions removing
your rearview for a mirrorless motoring experience, then you could
legally leave it out the same way you can run without a T-top in the
car. Somehow, I don't think you'll find the requisite language in the
manual, though.

Jay Mitchell