Re: Should Integra Type R's be in Stock Category?

To: Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com
Subject: Re: Should Integra Type R's be in Stock Category?
From: Matt Murray <mattm@nassau.cv.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 22:24:23 -0500

Kevin Stevens wrote:

> > Charlie, it seems as though you are now complaining about the
> > exact type of scenarios that you ruled on (and over) during your tenure
> > on the  SCAC. Lemmy see, by your current views, then the Neon ACRs
> > should be packed away with the Camaro 1LEs, Type-Rs. I think the ACR
> > and Type-R are a very good parallel. They were handled in the same
> > manner. You were involved with ACR  weren't you? Or were
> > you on vacation that week?
>
> If you quit revving your engine so high, maybe the ringing in the ears will
> go away.  Charlie said quite plainly that he doesn't agree with those
> decisions, either.  Or did you picture him as some sort of SCAC czar?

Charlie has mentioned in his sig or otherwise as being the SCAC chairman for
many years (ten?).
I fully realize that input from any decision came from Roger (O) J., Byron and
many hard working, underpaid volunteers, just as the current crew is and does.
As chair, you do take a certain amount of extra responsibility (and heat). No
decision about classes will have 100% agreement on the committee or in public.
The committee can only do so much. I just find it amusing how contrary his views
are now in comparison to the past.
 SCAC decisions, in light of the Type-R's official classing. As many have said,
should it be an overdog, move it. So far, it seems to run with the pack. If some
feel that it is an E Stock, then those two classes in total must be looked at.
FWIW, I've felt that the Type-R is a "sports car" that Solo II enthusiasts buy
and drive. It needs a home in Stock as well as SP, P, etc. The Speed Freaks,
Rice Boys etc. like this stuff. This is the club's new blood. This type of car
should be welcomed, if that is our goal. Okay, put it in A Stock. :-) [That okay
with you, Joe?].

> > As far as a M030, it is the same as ordering alloy wheels instead of steel
> > wheels (except Hondas, of course), or an MR2 with a solid roof,
> > instead of a T-Top. Almost any Porsche can be ordered with a Sport Package
> > or "M030".

As Sam Strano noted that a 1LE or a M030 isn't necessary to do well.

> Right.  And any Camaro can be ordered with 1LE.  And any Acura can be
> ordered as a '97-98 Type R.  Oh, what?  They can't?  And if there is a 2000
> Type R it will be a "complete redesign"?  Hmmm...

Not a Type-R redesign but an Integra redesign. This generation has existed since
'94. One of the longest model runs of this decade. So can a Neon be ordered as
an ACR? Opps, gotta buy the car. That's why I said the ACR and Type-R are a good
parallel.

> I don't blame y'all for being a little defensive.  You have an advantageous
> classification for a very low production car that was made for exactly two
> years.

Funny thing is, I don't race the Type-R (still for sale though). I do run the
968 with the *optional* M030 sport chassis package, along with the optional
limited slip. A Stock this year will consist of some very fast drivers in both
M030 equipped and non equipped 968s (not to mention Z3 coupes, M3s, MR2 turbos,
maybe an 944S2, or 911 just to keep it interesting).

--
Matt Murray
mailto:mattm@nassau.cv.net