FW: 18" rubber and camber ?

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: 18" rubber and camber ?
From: "Lewis, George (GEA, 083228)" <GEORGE.LEWIS@APPL.GE.COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:27:41 -0500
My point exactly...  I would not consider this rule to be feasible due to
the possibility that some current or future car produced exclusively with
18" (or 19" or 20", etc.) rims may not accept a smaller diameter rim due to
interference with the brakes or suspension.

Further, accepting this now would establish a precedent, so we may have to
revisit this issue every time the tire manufacturers lag the auto
manufacturers in adoption of a larger rim size.  And they WILL always lag
because the suits aren't going to pony up the money to develop a tire until
they are sure there is a market for it.  Further still, allowing the rim
substitution would eliminate the demand for a new tire and subsequently the
tire maker's incentive to produce it.  If you think it takes them a long
time now...  It is a potential can of worms.

The rules cannot guarantee the competitiveness of a vehicle, especially for
a situation that may change in an unspecified period of time.  A stock car
is what it is.  If whoever owns the car wants to run on race rubber, I say
get some 17's, run SP, and have fun until the 18" race rubber is available.
If you can't race for the sheer joy of it, what's the point?

Have fun!

George Lewis