Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)

To: "Scotty *BOB* White" <we2fat4asp@seanet.com>,
Subject: Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:43:50 -0600
Okay, I may regret this but I have to chime in here a little since this pity
party has pretty much dominated the airwaves the past couple of days.

There _are_ R compound tires available in 18" sizes plain and simple.  Lot's
of 'em.  More in fact than there are high performance "Street" tires
available in 14" sizes to fit my Neon like the Dunlop SP9000, Michelin MXX3,
Bridgestone S-02 pole position, etc.  How fair is that?

So the 18" tires only come in "road race" compounds.  That's not the SCACs
problem.  It's yours.  You chose your car and nobody is forcing you to drive
that particular car.  You could always drive a car that has 16" or 17"
wheels.

So........ they don't make exactly what you want, but they do make R tires
that you can use.  Cry, sob, sniffle, pity you.  Should there really be a
special allowance made for you and your car when there are currently R
compound tires being manufactured just because you don't like what _is_
already available?  I think not.

And in your case I don't buy the 12" to 13" wheel allowance as a precident
either.  There just aren't any R tires (never mind just plain old decent
street tires) made for 12" wheels so they were allowed to switch to 13"
wheels to allow them the use of more commonly available tire sizes.  There
are already R tires in 18" fitments and plenty of good street tires
available.  What about the 10" wheels on the cute little Minis?  How many R
tires are there for those guys?

Sorry for the rant.  Alright now, lemme have it.   ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T