Re: MX-1,2 or 4?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MX-1,2 or 4?
From: Mark Todd <marktodd@internet8.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:56:35 -0600
Eric wrote:
> Are the little MX-3s with the V6s good performers?

I test drove one when they were new, and liked it, but
they never have "taken off" as a performance car.   They
are kind of chubby for their size, and the nice little 1.8 V6
is peppy and revs nicely, but lacks grunt, which is what
most people are looking for when they opt for a V6.   It
has scarcely more power than the 1.8  4-cyl.   In fact, the
Protege' could probably outrun it.   There are practically
no performance parts available for the car.  I have seen
one article where the engine was used in a heavily modified
state in a Spitfire or something, and I've heard mention of a
motor swap project to the 2.5 V6, but that's about it.

My Mazda has a back seat, a turbo, and 4-wheel-drive.  :-)

Mark Todd
# 323 CSP Solo2
Delta Region SCCA