Re: A/C in an MR2

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@nassau.cv.net>, "Mari L. Clements" <mlc4@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: A/C in an MR2
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:51:10 -0600
>Personally, I'd want the condenser's weight up front.

condenser weighs maybe 5 lbs...add the dryer and you're
up to maybe 6.

>The compressor wouldn't detract all that much either.

Compressor is 35lbs, but it's in a good location if you have
traction problems.

>In total it might save twenty five to
>thirty pounds.

Probably closer to 40-45 total.  The problem child in removal
would be the evaporator.  You pretty much have to pull the
entire dash to get the evap casing out.  The piping under the
car is a snake that goes all over creation and wraps around
some suspension pieces up front.  For total removal and
reassembly, you can figure on close to 5 hours of work if
not more.

David "I've disassembled WAAAAY too many MR2s" Hawkins
93 MR2T  ASP
85 MR2  ITA/CSP
2 91 MR2 parts cars
89 MR2 parts car