Re: A/C in an MR2

To: "Mari L. Clements" <mlc4@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: A/C in an MR2
From: Matt Murray <mattm@nassau.cv.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:36:20 -0500
Second gen. MR2s without AC are VERY rare. Mostly (only?) solid roofed cars,
when they were first imported to the US. Only racers bought them. Toyota did
list it as an option, but most regional managers ordered them with AC. By
regional I mean LA, NY, Boston, etc. In each region, someone decides how many
(%) will be what color with what options. Such as Boston might order 31% of
their Camrys in Forest Green, where as NY might do 39%. NY region consisted of
nearly 100 dealerships. The NY region doesn't want to get stuck with a slow
moving option (or lack of one). Towards the end of the MR2's US existence, if
dealers wanted more Land Cruisers, they would have to take an MR2 (or two, or
three). Same applies to factory executive cars.

So if you remove the AC you have a lot of plumbing to take out, in addition to
the condenser, pump, etc. The MR2 and the Previas were the only Toyotas that had
to be installed at the factory. There were no dealer installed AC kits for those
models. Personally, I'd want the condenser's weight up front. The compressor
wouldn't detract all that much either. In total it might save twenty five to
thirty pounds. It was not part of a package per say. But if you are going to
have AC, more than likely, you'll want power windows, power locks. As I said at
the top, very few cars were built without AC. Remember that the MR2s are
basically hand built cars (Central Sagamahara plant, I think) subcontracted to
Yamaha.

--
Matt Murray
mailto:mattm@nassau.cv.net