Re: 328 vs. A4

To: TDL <gofastlane@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 328 vs. A4
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 08:28:59 -0600
TDL wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm still looking for a replacement racer and am back w/ more
> questions before closing in for the kill.  I realize that the cars in
> question do not compete directly and I don't intend to compare them as
> such.  I'm looking at the feasability of the 328 in BS and the A4 in
> GS and I'd like some help.
>
> While the BMW may not be competitive nationally, I prefer it because
> it's RWD and faster.  If I were to purchase one of the above, what
> trim level for the Audi (1.8TQ or 2.8Q)?

As a fun car, I'd go with the BMW.  They are simply a blast to drive
hard.

But, competitively, the BMW 328 is dead meat.  As has been pointed
out here before, the BMW is misclassed in BS.  It has no prayer
against the tiny Miata (unless you get a course with speeds ranging
from 10 to 80mph or with lots of elevation changes ;^).
IMHO, BS should be made the playland for the
tiny roadsters (Miata, Z3, etc.) and the 328 should be moved
into GS with all the other family sedans.

Or you could step up to a used M3, which can handle itself in AS.
And is possibly the funnest car on the planet to drive hard.  (No
flame war, please -- just my biased opinion.)

> ***the BMW is new for '99, but is it a better Xrosser than years back?
> is the broader torque curve worth the cash?

Actually, all indications are that its worse.  It is softer and much
less crisp.  Personally, I'd go for the previous style.

Brian