Will Kumho's fit on 2nd Gen RX-7

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Will Kumho's fit on 2nd Gen RX-7
From: JAKramer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:02:34 EST
My BFG R1's are on their last legs and it's time to get some new rubber.

I've heard lots of good things about the Kumho V700 tire.  Has anyone tried to
fit the 225/50 on a 2nd Gen RX-7 with stock 16" Turbo II wheels?

The R1's are a close fit, but I have never had any rubbing against the front
spring.
I have about 1/4 inch clearance.  The R1 specs indicate a section width of 8.8
inches.  The Kumho's section width is 9.17 inches.

9.17 - 8.8 = 0.37 / 2 = .185   So, if I have .25 inch of clearance today and
the Kumhos are .185 inch wider on each side than the R1, that means I would
have .065 inch of clearance all things being equal.  That just won't work.
However, I know all things aren't equal.  It depends where the widest part of
the R1 is vs. the Kumho, etc.

So, back to my original question.  Has anyone used the 225/50/16 Kumho?  If
yes, was it with a traditional strut/spring (non coilover) setup?

I know I could use spacers if I have to.  Anyone know a source for hub-centric
wheel spacers?

Thanks,
Jack
'86 RX-7 Sport CSP