Re: S2000 Class (was Ringers?)

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: S2000 Class (was Ringers?)
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:48:20 -0800
Charlie,

You are right about the current offerings from Honda, however, they also do
not have a performance oriented car in the current lineup.  You make my
point in your post.  You are "predicting" that the car will be too soft and
non adjustable.  Nobody knows.  I think a hasty decision would be placing a
car into a class where it could dominate; aka AS.  The SEB has two real
choices to make, AS or SS; the possible outcomes:

AS 1:  Very competitive car, not the best.
AS 2:  Dominant car, turns the most diverse class in Stock on it's ear.
SS 1:  Very competitive car, not the best
SS 2:  Dominant car, unseats the RX-7, the Vette and the 993 as top cars.

You know that it is the job of the SCAC and the SEB to basically choose
what would happen.  My opinion is that AS 1 and SS 2 aren't real probable.
So doesn't SS make sense for the initial classification?

To All:  Please remember these are MY opinions only.  I do not represent
ANY other SCAC or SEB members.  My vote is only one on a large committee
that recommends classes for cars to the SEB.  There are many things that
need to be considered when classing a car.  I hope ya'll have a better idea
of how hard a job this really is.

AB

Andy-

While I agree with all of your other points, and that at this point more
people would be served by putting the car in SS, I take issue with the
above
statement.  This was true when comparing '86 Civic Si's to other cars of
its
day, but not really true of most of Honda's current offerings.  No one has
mentioned spring rates and suspension adjustability, which I predict will
be
too soft, and non- in that order...  I think that will hamper the car some.
Don't be too hasty in classing the car.

CHD
(been there, done that)