Re: when did ABS become available?

To: autox@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: when did ABS become available?
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:02:49 -0800
>Jason Powell wrote:
>> Anyone know with certainty who designed it first?  What vehicle had it
>> first?

My father's 1973 International Travel-All had a mechanical (Borg-Warner I
think, though it could have been Bosch) ABS system. It even had a little
"Anti-lock brake" light on the dash that lit up when the system was in
operation. From what I remember it wasn't nearly as smooth as today's
computerized system, I recall the thunk-thunk of the system in action when
my father had to really lay on the brakes.

I think that there were a few other cars, mostly European, of the early
'70s with this same system but from what I recall International Harvester
was the first to use it in an American vehicle.

- Alan Dahl
  ___   ____     Alan Dahl                    | home: adahl@eskimo.com
 /_ /   /  /     Federal Way, WA, USA         | work: alan.dahl@attws.com