Re: '99 classification ringers?

To: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: '99 classification ringers?
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 16:01:24 -0800
Craig Blome wrote:

>Just to seed discussion, here are my "car to
> watch" nominees:
>
> AS  Porsche Boxster

R.L., you out there? What was your take on the Boxster as an autox car?
I heard a story about your car from Lee Goodson, but I won't repeat it
since I never confirmed it.

> BS  BMW 328i sedan w/Sport package
>
> 17x8 wheels on a 3200lb, 193hp car in B Stock?  Kinda heavy, but it
> might trash the Miatas on faster courses.

Nope. Gotta go with Scotty on this one. Wheelbase is too long, car is
too heavy, CG too high. IF a course is largely 3rd gear 60+ mph, MAYBE
the BMW could be in the hunt, but I wouldn't bet on it.

> FS  Mustang Cobra
>
> Will getting rid of the awful Fairmont rear end be enough to dethrone
> the F-body?  stay tuned...

I don't think so, because the front end has been a bigger problem with
FS Mustangs than the rear. I certainly agree with the folks who say the
IRS car should stay in FS.

> HS  Chevy S-10/GMC Sonoma
>
>   It sounds crazy, but the ZQ8 suspension package is pretty impressive
> for a truck, and a S10 was one out of trophies in '97.  I'm betting a
> well driven one could nab the Celicas and MX6's.  And imagine the
> bragging rights, being the first to win at Topeka in a *truck*... :)

I saw Tood Rupp beat ES at an Atlante regional in a HS Chebby S10 in
1991. It could happen....

Jay