Re: Ace Trucking School

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Ace Trucking School
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua@cybrtyme.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 16:58:09 -0600
Wrong answer.

18-wheeler drivers are taught by the commercial drivers license study guides
and reputable trainers to keep their cotton-pickin' hands _off_ the trailer
brake, except to test the brakes at low speeds.  Experienced drivers'
opinions will vary on this subject, but some of the older drivers don't
think the brakes on the front axle of the tractor should be working, despite
the fact that testing has shown that they make a considerable difference in
stopping distance and control.

I've been in, and recovered from, a tractor-trailer fishtail (with the
trailer starting to push the rear of the tractor sideways on a wet road.)
Even though the brake lever was only inches from my right hand, I resisted
the temptation to "stretch the chain."  I almost loaded my drawers when I
heard the engine go to idle even though I was still going at least 40 mph
and skidding.  I was (luckily) able to bring the revs back up enough to get
the tires rolling, again, allowing them to begin doing their job.

Basically, I figure if that tag-along trailer is swaying dangerously, you're
going too darned fast.  I do know not to slow quickly in such a situation,
just as you shouldn't when you have a flat tire.  I really meant to say I
_gradually_ eased off the gas 'til the situation stopped, and then continued
at a more sedate pace for the rest of the trip.

Even after installing stiffer springs in the back, and load-leveler shocks
in back and front, I'm still not satisfied with the ability of my '86
Pontiac Parisienne to safely tow much more than a lightweight cargo trailer
at any speed faster than about 55.

As I said to someone else, privately, towing much of anything without using
a fifth wheel usually makes me jumpy.  Of course, that could be my
commercial driver license talking.

Let me check. . .

Yeah, it is.  ;^)

Chuck (Sometimes found with 18 wheels, a ten-speed, and a license to use
'em!) Schultz

This list is great. Now I know how to drive the big rigs. ;-) But Desi

--
Chuck Schultz/                             Mailto:n2pua@cybrtyme.com
            /      Home page: http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/n2pua