Re: Scary Moment

To: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua@cybrtyme.com>
Subject: Re: Scary Moment
From: Alan Pozner <apozner@epix.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 21:40:49 -0500
Charles R.Schultz wrote:

>I've had this happen with my camper trailer, and simply taking my foot off
>the throttle has always solved the problem, without me having to look down
>to find where the guy put the d***ed controller.

>Wait, I think I get it. . . real drivers don't lift.   ;^)

---------------------------------

As a long time trailer hauler let me say that what Charles describes is
the 2nd worst thing to do.

Here's the explanation - When the trailer starts to fishtail its because
its total speed (side to side and forward) exceeds the speed of the
trailer hitch which is only moving forward. If you slow the trailer down
or speed the car up or both then the rig will again become stable. By
slowing the car down you only increase the likelihood of a jack-knife.
So Charles...
Q. What's the WORST thing you could do?  A. Put on the car brakes.
Q. What's the best thing you could do? Accelerate the car while putting
on the trailer brakes.

Not only did Mike do the right thing but he did the unnatural thing (he
thought first and acted second!)

Alan Pozner
'93 ES delSol