Re: Fw: Spridgets in DP / rule clarification

To: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@mcimail.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Spridgets in DP / rule clarification
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 17:10:13 -0800
I hesitate to jump into this fray since I, too, was part of the DP
group at Topeka this year.  I had never met the Imbeaus in person
until I got there, but I had exchanged many e-mail messages with Larry
prior to Nationals, had a great visit with him and Chris in Topeka,
and still consider both of them my friends.  But that's neither here
nor there.  I have no desire to get into the protest aspect of the
discussion.  Besides, considering how poorly I drove in Topeka, I
could have cheated on every possible aspect of car prep (which I
didn't) and still would have finished DFL.  They both drove much
better than I did and, whether legal or not, they've done a superb job
of car preparation.

With all that aside, I would like to differ with something that Rocky
said...

Rocky Entriken wrote:

> These motors
> are so easily and readily traded out that I can buy the argument of innocently
> believing it to be OK for both makes of car,

As the proud owner/driver of a DP Mini for the past 11 years, I'd like
to clarify this point.  Yes, it's pretty easy to put a Mini block into
a Spridget, as we're talking about here.  But, no, it's not that easy
to put a Spridget block into a Mini.  Since the Mini is FWD, the
transmission is under the engine (in the sump) and shares the same oil
with the engine and diff.  To make a Spridget engine work in a Mini,
you have to do some serious drilling and machining to get it to the
point where it will suck the oil up through the O-ringed outlet in the
transmission/sump case and into the motor.  Just thought I'd clarify
this point...it's easy to go one way...it's not so easy to go the
other.

As for the BG's, bring 'em on!!!  8<{)  They look like they'd be an
absolute hoot to drive and they seemed to fit quite well in DP at
Topeka.  I had the chance to run with Texas Region back in November.
They had eight Legends drivers show up and, even though they ran in
their own class, I finished better than five of them.  Since the Baby
Grands and Legends are, basically, the same car with different bodies,
I have no problem puting all of them in either DP or DM.  But that's
just MHO.  And remember...opinions are like a**holes...everybody's got
one and they all stink!!!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman