Re: Annual Tow Vehicle Question

To: "'autox'" <autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Annual Tow Vehicle Question
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 08:51:35 -0500
I also considered various mid-size utility vehicles before I bought my tow
vehicle.  And I also didn't want something as huge as a Suburban or
Expedition for driving around town, and I wanted 4WD for ski trips, bad
weather, etc.  Here are my thoughts:
1.  Astro van:  Can get AWD.  Questionable reliability.  Hard to picture
myself driving a minivan.  Can find used ones at a good price.  Make sure
you get the tow package.
2.  Grand Cherokee V8:  Sportiest of the bunch.  Accelerated and handled
very well for an SUV.  Not enough room inside for me.
3.  Blazer:  Good power for a V6.  Not enough room inside for me.
4.  Durango:  Nice size, a bit bigger than an Explorer.  Good power for
towing.  Nice features.  I like the styling.  However, I personally think
Ford quality is better than Chrysler, and the Durango/Dakota trucks did very
poorly in crash tests.
5.  Explorer:  Can find old V6 Explorers for cheap, but they seem to eat
transmissions when used for towing.  The brakes were also very poor until
they were upgraded around '95.
6:  Explorer V8:  This is what I got.  Perfect compromise size for towing,
commuting, ski trips, etc.  The cargo area is 6 feet long with the seats
folded, so I can sleep back there if I want to.  Very nice interior and
features.  V8 comes with tow package including heavy duty cooling, trans
cooler, 3.78 gear ratio.  I tow an ITS RX7 (2500 lbs.) plus 8 extra
wheels/tires and other spares on a heavy old 2-axle trailer, and it does
fine.  The '98 has an improved rear hatch design and 2nd gen. (depowered)
airbags.  4-wheel antilock disk brakes are quite good for this type of
vehicle.  Gas mileage is abysmal (EPA estimates are 14/18 and that's about
what it gets).  Unfortunately, the V8 just came out in late '95 and the
first V8 AWDs came in '96 so you can't find cheap used ones.  I broke down
and bought a new one.

Brad Burns
'91 MR2T, A-stock
'87 RX7, ITS