Re: Good winter reading

To: "team.net" <autox@Autox.Team.Net>, "Bob barone" <rjbfspso@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Good winter reading
From: Scott Mitchell <scott@fortner.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 99 17:39:55 -0500
Bob Barone wrote:
>  Another entry in the Steve Smith "...... to Win series" is titaled "Think
>to Win." There is about half a page about autocrossing. [snip]

Just to clarify, the '... to Win' series is written by Carroll Smith.
This includes Prepare to Win, Tune to Win, Engineer to Win, Nuts, Bolts,
and Fasteners (AKA Screw to Win), and Drive to Win. 'Think to Win' was
written by another author... perhaps Steve Smith, I dunno. I've never
picked it up, as I think it is a bit cheezy to walk into Carroll Smith's
"... To Win" teritory with a similar book.

Anyway, I recommend all of Carroll's books. Though they may not be
applicable to your situation and are a bit redundant. Tune to Win has the
basic chassis/suspension dynamics. Engineer to Win expands on it a bit
but goes into other areas. Screw to Win contains an updated version of
the bolt, fastener, and metalurgy stuff in Prepare to Win and Engineer to
Win. Probably not the first book you should choose.

Some other good books are Fred Puhn's 'How to Make Your Car Handle' and
Paul Van Valkenburgh's 'Racecar Engineering'. Puhn's book is a good (if
dated) starter suspension tuning book. Van Valkenburgh covers similar
territory as Tune to Win.

Scott Mitchell
70 Europa S2 ASP

"Buying a [Lotus] Europa and not autocrossing it is like buying a book
 and not reading it." - Phil Ethier