Re: gas vs. hydraulic

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>, autocross list <autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: gas vs. hydraulic
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 06:50:16 -0800 (PST)
I asked this question m'self a year or two ago.  As best I understand
it, fully hydraulic shocks sit a bit lower than gas pressurized shocks
and are one of the very few ways to legally lower a car in Stock
class.  The pressure exerted by the nitrogen in a gas shock expels the
piston from the shock body.  That's why unrestrained gas shocks extend
to their full length, while hydraulic ones don't.

Downsides are (a) infinitesimal decrease in spring rate and (b)
increased susceptibility to shock oil foaming, though with modern oils
and lower autox speeds this may be less of a concern.

hth,
Craig Blome
Texas Spokes SCC