Re: considering an FF

To: gduncan2@comcast.net, AutoX-CModified <autox-cm@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: considering an FF
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:54:14 -0500
--On Tuesday, December 14, 2004 9:47 PM -0700 gduncan2@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm hoping I'll fit in an `87!!!

The '85-'89 cars are pretty good sized.  They'll handle a tall driver just
fine, the only issue is very wide shoulders.  Those with wide shoulders
need to scootch down a bit to get their shoulders under the upper frame
rails.  As long as there's room to do that, there's plenty of room for
most anyone, with the possible exception of the obese.

I don't remember all the specific differences between the '87 and the
'88/'89 cars with which I'm familiar, but some of the things to look at
include the condition of the spacer/oil tank.  This is the piece between
the engine and gearbox.  It is made of either cast aluminum or cast
magnesium, and if the chassis was not carefully shimmed when it was
last assembled, could suffer stress cracks that can be a serious pain to
repair.  Cracks are most likely to show up at the bottom, as I understand
it.

Suspension arms for the '88/'89 cars are not hard to find.  I'd be more
concerned about uprights and bodywork.

My big fear about any car that's been sitting this long is that it might
well turn out to require some considerable rebuilding.  If there was any
fuel in the cell it will surely need to be replaced, for example.  All
of the fuel lines too.  The carburetor might well need to be cleaned.
The wiring should probably all be replaced, too.

The thing about FFs is that if you have a good one and it's in good shape
and reliable, it's easy to keep it running.  But otherwise, they can be
frustrating monsters.  It's best, IMHO, to start in a known good state.

Mark