Re: Ignition System Circuit Wiring

To: Charlie Mathews <cmathews3@mchsi.com>, CM List
Subject: Re: Ignition System Circuit Wiring
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:59:56 -0400
At 11:48 PM 8/15/2004, Charlie Mathews wrote:
>Well the electrical problems continue.  At the last race I lost spark
>about 15 seconds into the run.  We ended up replacing the condenser,
>rotor, points and cap.  We verified that the coil was working properly.
>I'm checking to find a test to verify if the rev limiter is functioning
>properly.
>
>Anyway, with all of this I have decided to replace the wiring circuit and
>switches.  The car was rewired in '89 and has about ~160 autocrosses on it
>since then.  Does anyone know what gauge wire is recommended or required?
>Thank you in advance.
>

>Charlie Mathews
>'82 Lola

Charlie,

I don't know what is needed or recommended but here is what I use:

Battery to ignition switch to coil: 14 gauge
Coil to distributor: 16 gauge

I use Marine grade wire (UL and CSA Listed) which I got from Boater's
World. I figured that a formula ford towed on an open trailer was in a
similar environment to a boat . . . i.e. water, gasoline, oil, sunlight. My
local Boater's World has a good selection of sizes and colors. Another good
choice might be Machine Tool Wire but I'm not sure if it is as flexible as
the Marine wire. Some guys use Aircraft wire.

Have you replaced the Master Switch? According to the racers the top three
causes of ignition problems are the master switch, the battery, and bad
connections.

Good luck

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85