Re: Update & New Question: LD20 Brake Pad Options?

To: Craig Henry <tiga_s2@yahoo.com>, autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Update & New Question: LD20 Brake Pad Options?
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:35:32 -0400
At 02:12 PM 5/26/2004, Craig Henry wrote:
>New Question:
>
>Mini Mania has one set of HPS pads in stock ready to
>ship (for $20.00 over list price) and both Essex and
>Pegasus have offered to get a another set of HP Plus
>pads for me from Hawk.  Am I better off running HP
>Plus pads all around or going with HP Plus pads on the
>fronts and HPS pads on the rear?

Craig,

I would start with the same pads F and R. If the Pluses are sensitive to
lock up then consider the following:

IF (really big IF) neither the HPS or the HP Plus pads change friction
coefficient as they warm up then I would put the Pluses on the REAR. My
reason (a GUESS) is because the Plus pads tended to lock front tires on my
FF, especially the inside front of course. If the balance stays the same as
the pads warm up then the heavier loaded rear tires may be able to handle
what appeared to me to be the more aggressive Plus pads.

Keep in mind that you may have to bed the pads/rotors each time you make a
change to get the appropriate transfer layer on the rotors.

If I had a job I would have called Essex to see if they still carry LD 19
HPS pads . . . but considering the almost new pad thickness on the ones in
the car I decided that buying pads now that I might want in 5 or 10 years
probably wasn't needed.

Dick