Re: Radiators?

To: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Radiators?
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:52:39 -0500
At 06:03 PM 2/12/2004 -0500, Dick Rasmussen wrote:
>Mark,
>
>I had very good results by taking my old radiators to a high quality local
>radiator shop and getting them re-cored with high quality new brass cores.
>The new cores also have the "fin" type with lots of "serrations" to help
>with heat transfer which I first saw on my 88 5.0 Mustang. That radiator
>was amazingly small and effective so I made sure to ask about using that
>type of construction when I went to the rad shop.
>
>I have the impression that brass radiators will be less likely than
>aluminum to be "holed" by errant stones, concrete chunks, etc. thrown by
>the tires.
>
>Mine do a good job of rejecting heat between runs, even in hot weather Pro
>Solos, without spraying or fans . . . but only one driver.
>
>Let me know if you need dimensions, core rows, etc. but a good rad shop
>should be able to tell you what will work best.

Mark,

I measured my rads anyway just in case others are interested and for
comparison:

Core Dimensions: 8" "high" X 14.75" "long" X 2" "thick"

Tube rows: 19 rows "wide" by 4 rows "thick"

Water enters the top of the rear header and exits the bottom of the rear header

Rads are in parallel

Water pump is normal engine driven

During cool down I will start the engine to circulate water if needed

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen FF