GCR FF2000 in C+ Mod (or B- Mod?)

To: cm <autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: GCR FF2000 in C+ Mod (or B- Mod?)
From: "Pruett, Christopher (CK)" <CKPruett@dow.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:56:25 -0500
All,

After posting two of the early notes regarding the FastTrack item of the GCR
FF2000 in CM, I thought it was time for a recap of my position as it seems that
I'm being cast as someone who is behind this proposal.

First of all, I am not in favor of the proposal as it currently stands.
Secondly, I did not forwarded any of my opinions to the SEB/MAC until Steve
Elzinga posted the proposal to the list (until Steve posted it, I didn't even
know it existed; my SportCar had yet to arrive). Third, I just responded to a
request by the SEB/MAC for member input.

The first opinion I forwarded to the SEB/MAC was an idea I had 5 years ago; if
you want to put the GCR FF2000 in CM, make it run a hard specification tire.
After thinking about it (as well as enduring a number of negative posts), I
restated my position as follows:

"As was the case 5 years ago, I was just offering up an idea to allow the
FF2000 to run in CM vs. BM as these cars are closer mechanically to the FF/S2
than the FA/CSR. After running a FF2000 in BM, I really don't think it matters
much either way as you're just as handicapped running unrestricted in BM as I
believe you would be in CM with a harder compound. Besides, I still think that
a fully prepared FF2000 car can be reasonably competitive (fighting for a
trophy position, but not the overall win...) in BM."

End of story.

With that said, I think, given the number of posts this subject has generated
(5 years ago as well as now), there is interest is finding a place to run a GCR
FF2000 competitively (i.e. fighting for a win at the Tour/Pro/National level).
Obvious from the posted opinions, the place for the GCR FF2000 is not CM (in
any way, shape, or form). This begs the question on the best way to proceed.

Is the proposal as published in SportsCar an attempt by a group (how big?) of
GCR FF2000 owners (current or future?) to make a place for their cars? Does an
organized Solo2 FF2000 owners group even exists?

Maybe a better solution is for this unknown group to ask the SEB/MAC for
"supplemental" class status for the GCR FF2000. This class (C+ Mod or B- Mod?)
could run in conjunction with BM class being awarded separated trophies. I
agree that this sounds too much like "I" Mod, but until given a fair chance (a
full year?), it's hard to say what kind of numbers this class would generate.
More than anything, number of entries in this supplement class would determine
its long term fate.

As I joined the club shortly after the creation CM (1990?), can anyone post how
CM came into existence as, from what I've been told, the FF1600 use to run in
BM. For that matter, how did FM or F125 come into being?

Finally, I am not trying cause a stir. Like Chuck, I'm just trying to offer up
ideas. Ultimately, it's up to the SEB/MAC to make a decision based on all
member input (not just current/past/future CM/BM competitors).

Respectfully,

-pru-
82 Reynard FF1600