Re: Dopey Spark Plug Question

To: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>, autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dopey Spark Plug Question
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:32:55 -0400
At 07:59 AM 5/14/2003 -0500, Patrick Washburn wrote:
>I forgot to look at my plugs before I left for work.  Never bought plugs for
>it yet, and I am ordering new ones this mornign...what is the general
>concensus on what type works best?  Can you use the Champion Projected Tip?
>  Make and model number please....thanks C Modders!!
>
>Patrick Washburn
>C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
>Designed for the Racer
>Wausau, WI
>www.racecabinet.com
>715-355-8842

Pat,

My approach has always been to treat the plug choice for autocrossing as if
the engine is the street version. My goal is to keep deposits from forming
on the plug during warmup. Even with the street gas I run, preignition and
detonation are not a problem. Various engine builders have noted that there
is no power to be gained from "fancy" plugs in our engines. . . but a
misfire would certainly cost us a lot.

The hottest Champion plug for the various Ford versions of the engine is
RN12YC. NGK BP6ES is similar but harder to find sometimes. Gap to .025
(assuming point ignition).

Coincidentally this Champion plug is also appropriate for a bunch of other
engines, including the V-8 in my Dodge tow vehicle. It is also the size
used for Lotus twin cams and old Datsun Z's. I used to run the BP6ES plug
in my Lotus and my Z and my FF.

Dick