Re: Gearing Question

To: <autox-cm@autox.team.net>, <Alex_Chiu@pmc-sierra.com>
Subject: Re: Gearing Question
From: "Brent Cary" <BCARY@indygov.org>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:36:59 -0500
Hi, Alex.

We use a 9:31 R&P, with the following gears:
13:38  (fixed layshaft)
15:36
17:34
19:32

Works very well for us.  Second gear doesn't come into play often.
Mostly third for open courses, with occasional bumps to forth.  On some
slicker courses, we even run third in the slow sections to keep the
wheelspin manageable.  This works well for slow (not hairpin, but
tightish) 180degree turns, where too much throttle makes the car jump.
Some courses run the rev limiter in 4th, but not many.  We ran near the
limiter at Topeka, but did NOT bump it in fourth.  The new car is a
10:31 R&P, and we are keeping the same gears for now.  Hope this helps.