Gearing Question

To: "'autox-cm@autox.team.net'" <autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearing Question
From: Alex Chiu <Alex_Chiu@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:14:21 -0700
Hi guys,

Wish there were more CM guys out in the West Coast.  It's tough to guage when
there are so few people running out here but both the NT and Pro were fun.  The
site was very good concrete but a bit sandy.  Cars in the first heat were
basically sweeping the course for the rest of the drivers but the grip level
was similar to Topeka and the butt joints between concrete slabs were level.
The NT course was a bit on the short side but on both events, we realized that
our car is geared too short in second.  Both Blake and myself have never
mastered the art of executing a 2-3 shift while trying to steer the car in a
sweeper or slalom and at Atwater, there were several places we were riding on
the rev limiter.  It also looks like the trend in Nationals type courses is to
higher top speeds so we are thinking of getting a taller 2nd gear that would
get us another 5 mph.  Would that kill us because there is too big a gap
between 1st and 2nd?

We are currently using a 9:31 R&P and the gearing is as follows:
13:38   46 mph
17:35   65 mph
19:32   79 mph
23:29   106 mph