Re: [Alpines] Over Heating

To: Łauri <lehtinen.lauri@kolumbus.fi>,
Subject: Re: [Alpines] Over Heating
From: "Peter Chadbund" <peter@wizardclassics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:11:12 -0000
The series I and II did not use a voltage stabiliser (regulator) - they used
a two-coil type of instrument, one coil being mounted on the indicating
needle, the other providing the magnetic field in which that first coil
moves. Thus any change in supply voltage is compensated by both coils being
affected. Note that with this type of instrument it is absolutely essential
that the metal case of the instrument is soundly electrically connected to
chassis as this provides one of the electrical connections to the field
coil. This type of device can easily be identified by the wire supplying the
gauges being plain green. Later models used a very primitive voltage
stabiliser using a bimetallic strip with a heating coil wound around it,
giving a nominal average output of 10 volts. The bimetallic strip has
contacts which open and close, giving a "pulsed voltage output". The
instruments used with this regulator use a bimetallic strip with a coil
around it. The current passing through the coil governs the twisting of the
bimetallic strip, to which the indicating needle is fixed. The wire
connecting the output of the voltage stabiliser to the instruments should be
green with a black tracer.
Pete Chadbund
Buckingham, England
peter@wizardclassics.co.uk