Re: [Alpines] Brake switch and door window questions

To: rootesalpine@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Alpines] Brake switch and door window questions
From: Ron Tebo <mrtebo@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:34:33 -0600
Rob:

Here is a little more on replacing windows.

Ron Tebo

Subject: RE: window glass replacement
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:55:38 -0700
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
To: alpines@autox.team.net

 >The passenger side window glass on my series 5 has come loose from the
 >channel it should sit in. I removed the channel and cleaned up the rust
 >in it so I could reinstall the glass.  The rubber strip on the bottom of
 >the glass is in good shape but I'm wondering what the clear plastic film
 >is supposed to do that is peeling off from the rubber. Was it a double
 >stick tape that kept the rubber from slipping out of the channel?  Any
 >suggestions on how to secure the glass to the channel?

First, that little plastic strip is what is left of the large plastic sheet
that would hang down from the window when the window was rolled up to keep
the water from getting to the door panels.

Second, Dave describes putting the glass back in.  I would add that I
bought replacement rubber strips from SS.  I put black weather stripping
cement on both sides and it pretty much slid in with no problems - mabye a
knock or two with wood as Dave suggests.

Jay